Re: Checking out src with Mercurial

At Fri, 19 Jun 2020 21:07:24 +0200, Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: Checking out src with Mercurial

>    The tl;dr for those who don't want to read all that:  If, five years
> earlier, Rust had been in the shape it was when that post was written,
> the Mercurial developers may have opted to port to Rust rather than try
> to bend Python 3 to their will -- because many common assumptions they
> made about Python were true in 2.x, but not 3.x.
>
>    Regarding choosing Rust over "well designed C/C++ code":  Going by
> the blog, it seems some of their core developers really like Rust.  I
> imagine that the OsString/OsStr issue is probably quite relevant to
> [portable] source management systems; probably things like that matter
> to them.

heh.

I always thought at the beginnings of Mercurial that Python was only a
suitable prototyping language for it and that a rewrite to C or better,
at least for core functionality, should have been a VERY early step in
a production implementation.  But it just never got there, and then they
suffered through the Python version gyrations with no appreciable gain.

However considering Rust is, well.... Rust is a stupidly horribly overly
complex language (and in a convoluted way unlike, say, D) that is
currently very hard to support on a wide variety of platforms, unlike,
say, Python which does run _everywhere_, even if slowly.  However it
isn't too hard to see how a Python-only developer would be intrigued by
a language that's at least as capable as Python (in a "mine is as big as
yours" kind of way).

Now why they wouldn't prefer a truly safe language like, say, Ada (or
Oberon or Eiffel, etc.), if that's their concern, I couldn't begin to
guess.

These days a decent well supported, very capable, and much more widely
available language like Go would seem, to me at least, to be a literally
more infinitely better choice.

Of course a truly small and elegant language like V (or maybe Wren)
would be more along my line of choice, though for the kind of project
like Mercurial, well, as I said, I would have a very hard time arguing
against Go.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>