Re: Checking out src with Mercurial

On 2020-06-19 23:02, Sad Clouds wrote:
>>    The tl;dr for those who don't want to read all that:  If, five
>> years earlier, Rust had been in the shape it was when that post was
>> written, the Mercurial developers may have opted to port to Rust
>> rather than try to bend Python 3 to their will -- because many common
>> assumptions they made about Python were true in 2.x, but not 3.x.
>
> Until perhaps the next awesome version of Rust is unleashed, and you're
> back to something like Python 2 to 3 upgrade saga. As you pointed out,
> Rust has no spec, so you could wake up tomorrow with some crazy new
> features added.

   Several large corporations have Rust code running in production.  The
radical changes happened prior to Rust 1.0; after that they became very
picky about not breaking compatibility.  They even test new features
against all crates in the official repository and have rolled back
changes that caused breakage in just a few crates.

   Don't confuse "no official specification" with "wild west".

   I hope people don't confuse the Rust-on-NetBSD troubles with the lack
of a language spec; the two are completely unrelated.

> People don't like C because it's too low level, fine. There are mature
> programming languages like Ada, that have been around for decades and
> have been designed by very smart people. Everything that you want for
> writing reliable software at scale - strong typing, automatic overflow
> and array bounds checking, built-in concurrency with tasks, object
> oriented programming, generics, etc. But Ada is not hip enough for the
> Facebook type crowd, so they keep inventing new programming languages
> that simply suck when it comes to software engineering.

   .. uh ..  *blinks*  ..  Ok, then.

--
Kind Regards,
Jan