Re: cvs better than git?

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 11:51:48AM +0200, Matthias Petermann wrote:
> Will downstream projects such as pkgsrc and pkgsrc-wip also adopt
> Mercurial and use them as their official SCM? That would be great.

wip adopted git after a lot of deliberation.. Hope we don't change it
again... wip is the layer with largest count of people with push access
and unless there is some really good reason changing again is unnecessary.

[I recollect having argued against the CVS->git change once, but have come
to terms with git now. I'd argue to not change again from git->hg please!]

For pkgsrc I prefer the git mirror, as I don't have to push anything
anyway and a few hours of latency doesn't matter to me.

I rarely tinker with the base or kernel.

My personal experience is mercurial is good but very slow compared to git.
git is fast, widely adopted. Only time I faced problems with git was in a
very exotic situation where I was trying to run it on an encfs file system
and on NetBSD some low level calls used by git caused issues. But that's
too niche to worry about.

As of I studied last Hg was to adopt rust and was expected to reduce the
speed gap. Not sure about the status.

I am unsure about reasons behind NetBSD's inclination towards hg instead
of git.

Mayuresh