Is elinks dead?

I have been using elinks-0.12pre6 for many years without any problems for
text mode browsing.

Some of the beautiful things about elinks are:

- Ability to open new tabs over socket. For example I can easily open
  links from my mutt mail client as new tabs in elinks running in a
  separate terminal where I can go and see them all together later. [If I
  have to look for alternatives to elinks this is one feature I am likely
  to find hard to find.]

- Good looking and fast rendering in text mode

However some sites do cause this annoying SSL error with elinks (despite
unselecting check certificates option) and I could not find a way to work
around this.

Looked at the upstream and looks like practically it has come to a
standstill with last release being in 2012 and no active community.

Interestingly I found a post of 2015 complaining about the same issue and
strangely that post is also in response to a NetBSD user:
http://lists.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/elinks-users/2015-May/002185.html

The post mentions version .13 which was never released...

Are there any elinks user out here who have you faced those SSL errors and
know any workaround? Or any alternatives, that may meet at least my first
requirement in the bullets mentioned above?

Mayuresh