Re: wine64 (devel) and NetBSD 8.0

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 04:29:07PM +0100, Sad Clouds wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 16:51:12 +0200
> tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:
>
> > I would have liked to test piping the processes just invoking wine
> > (for console programs) as a part of the pipe, not writing huge amount
> > of temporary data being a huge win...
>
> If you can get Wine to work reliably on NetBSD this may work.
> Otherwise, you could try other approaches:
>
> 1. Generating data on a Windows VM and piping/sending it across the
> network to a NetBSD process, i.e. netcat. This avoids writing data to
> some storage medium, but your VM environment may need fast networking
> implementation, depending on how much data you generate.

Perhaps a solution but as you write, this will depend on the efficiency
of the networking implementation and if the cards are supported or if
the emulated card is fast enough (I would have to look too if there is
tricks to send data between VM and guest rapidly by sending it in some
stage in the localhost network stack).

> 2. Do all processing on a Windows VM or physical host. You can compile
> Posix code inside a Cygwin environment. There is even "Windows
> subsystem for Linux" from Microsoft, but I've never used, so don't know
> how well it works. If your code is mostly Posix and doesn't require
> special BSD extensions, this could work for you.

The code is POSIX, I always stick to it when there is no reason to
deviate.

I have made some experiments about this (mainly for kerTeX and Windows
support). As usual with Microsoft, what used to work in this area (SUA)
has been deprecated and replaced with installing a Linux distribution;
and this and Cygwin are huge beasts and I'd much prefer the other way
round since, if the Windows kernel since NT is now a good one,
and if there is amazing compatibility work done in MS Windows, I can't
like the user level stuff and even less the administration tools.

I like NetBSD precisely for this: you can have easy access to what you
want; you know where you have to look (/etc) and administration can be
done with basic text tools and with the minimal amount of stuff
and without beating around the bush.

I never managed to like Pascal as a programming language; I never
managed to like MS Windows for the user interface and the
administration...

Best,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/