Re: tcsh and accented characters (strange problem)

Hello,

On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 03:12:37PM +0100, Pierre Dupond wrote:

> Hi All,
>       I like to use tcsh and most of my personal setup relies on it.
> When I use my setup on Netbsd with the tcsh, I face up with a strange
> problem.
>
> If I use the package "tcsh" precompiled and installed
> with the pkgin command, the accented characters (like é) can be used but
> if the shell is compiled statically (either from the pkgsrc package "static-tcsh"
> or by compiling directly from the source) none accented character (or more precisely
> any non ASCII characters) can be used.
>
> My setup of tcsh works perfectly on other system, particularly on Linux (but with pkgsrc static-tcsh
> 6.21 instead of 6.22 on my Netbsd system).
>
> Any Ideas?

If I'm not mistaken, the internationalization code (citrus) is only
available via dynamic shared objects loading. If you compile all
statically, you don't have the internationalization (iconv and the
rest).

You can compile statically against all libraries but the libc for it
to work.

HTH,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/