Re: disklabel generating wrong fstype

mlh%goathill.org@localhost (MLH) writes:

>I couldn't figure out how to get newfs_msdos to specify exFAT so

It can't. But mount_msdos cannot mount exFAT either.

>didn't think it would work and I couldn't get the mkfs.exfat to
>work either:

>$ mkfs.exfat /dev/rsd0e
>mkexfatfs 1.3.0
>Creating... ERROR: failed to erase block 1/1 at 0x3e0000.
>$ mkfs.exfat /dev/rsd0
>mkexfatfs 1.3.0
>Creating... ERROR: failed to erase block 1/1 at 0x3e0000.

That's probably a "non-ported" Linux program and tries to write
arbitrary blocks to the device. Maybe using /dev/sd0e works better.

>newfs_msdos does this:
>$ newfs_msdos -F exFAT /dev/rsd0e
>/dev/rsd0e: 250022016 sectors in 1953297 FAT32 clusters (65536 bytes/cluster) MBR type: 11

The -F option takes a number argument (12,16 or 32). The non-numeric
value is parsed as zero, this is the same as not specifying the option
at all and then the default (FAT32) is used.

>And it shows up as a FAT32 filesystem everywhere even though it
>shows to be a 128G. I thought FAT32 couldn't be that large so
>suspected it was wrong.

FAT32 has a limit of 2^32 sectors. With the common 512 byte sectors
this is 2TB. A single file has a limit of 4GB.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost