Re: Device timeout reading fsbn ... further experience

I find something strange in this saga, but this is so far just a hypotheses and not a conclusion.

It seems the hard drive crash does not occur when the system is on ttyE0 root console.

I don't really know if it would be the case with root console on ttyE1, ttyE2 or ttyE3, or on ttyE0 if I logged in as nonroot on ttyE0.

This is of course not conclusive, could end any time without warning and thereby spoil my hypothesis, and possibly spoil my data.

I wonder if being on a root xterm or uxterm on X (I use icewm) would work, but I suspect not.

If I use X, I have visions of having to either exit and switch to ttyE0, or maybe I could Ctrl-Alt-F1 from within X, reach ttyE0 root window, and then Ctrl-Alt-F5 back into X.

Conceivably this could provide insight toward solving this bug.

NetBSD version is 8.99.51, amd64 and i386.

I don't want to keep the computer idle on the root console for many days at a time because that would deprive me of use of the computer.

Tom