Re: Device timeout reading fsbn ...

from Michael van Elst:

> mueller6725%twc.com@localhost ("Thomas Mueller") writes:

> >Do you know when (what version) NCQ was introduced to NetBSD?  Was it before or after 7.99.1?

> It's only in HEAD and will be in netbsd-9.

I assume it will be in NetBSD-current (9.99.x) and NetBSD 10 as well?

> >What is atatctl?  "which atatctl" shows nothing.  Is atatctl part of smartmontools?

> Sorry, atactl, it is a native command. E.g.

> # atactl wd0 smart status
> SMART supported, SMART enabled
> id value thresh crit collect reliability description                 raw
(snip)

from my older post:

> Now I see why I could trust my old 7.99.1 installation to act as server when I was updating a NetBSD installation by NFS from the other computer.

> I haven't noticed the crash with FreeBSD, but FreeBSD has other problems, could be either the hard drive or motherboard.

> But if I want to go further with NetBSD, I guess I need to run

> sysctl -w hw.wd1.use_ncq=0

> and see if this solves the problem.

> But I still need to be aware of the possibility of this hard drive going fully bad.

This sysctl seemed to have no effect, I still get the same trouble though it may take a few days following reboot and fsck_ffs to show up.

Now the question is whether there is any point going further in NetBSD, like 9.99.26 and later, on this hard drive.  That is the point of this late followup post.

I could still try with FreeBSD, Linux and/or Haiku.

I have the other hard drive (Hitachi 4 TB refurbished special) in a hard-drive (SATA) dock that is part of the computer case.

I could even install NetBSD on a USB 3.0 external hard drive (Seagate Expansion), would that work?

I already have NetBSD installed there (8.99.51 amd64 and i386) and could update there but would have to rebuild packages almost from square one, and not mount anything on that WD Green hard drive when NetBSD is running.

I could even (is it safe from NetBSD?) put /home partition on ext2fs to be accessible from NetBSD, FreeBSD, Linux, and even Haiku.

Tom