Re: installboot problems with raidframe - amd64

yancm%sdf.org@localhost writes:

>> yancm%sdf.org@localhost writes:
>>
>>>  NetBSD/x86 ffsv2 Primary Bootstrap
>>>  Boot Failed (errno 2): Can't open /boot
>>
>> Sure that the root filesystem is ffsv2 and not ffsv1 ?
>>
>> # dumpfs -s raid0a
>
> Aargh...yes...I followed the guide 16.3.6 and used
> newfs -O 1 to create filesystems:
>
>  # dumpfs -s raid0a
>  file system: /dev/rraid0a
>  format  FFSv1
>  endian  little-endian
>  magic   11954           time    Thu Dec 26 09:18:57 2019
>  superblock location     8192    id      [ 5e039dba 70e4d4fd ]
>  cylgrp  dynamic inodes  4.4BSD  sblock  FFSv2   fslevel 4
>
> Should I be concerned with having ffsv1 on this system? Since I've
> got my box torn apart, would not be too hard to repeat raid creation and
> newfs with -O 2....

As I understand it there is nothing wrong with ffsv1 for filesystems of
moderate size, and anything less than 1T counts as moderate.   I have
multiple systems with ffvs1 root filesystems and they work fine.  Also
note that -O 1 is the default.

> I feel the note on filesystems being default ffsv2 in 16.3.7 of
> the guide is misleading and/or inconsistent with using option
> -O 1 for newfs in previous section... perhaps I can propose some
> edits depending on if we want to guide folks to primarily use ffsv2.

Extended attributes are only supported in ffsv1, which means that if you
want to use gluster you need ffsv1.

I think it makes sense to first align text about 'default' with newfs's
default.   Keep in mind that there is another default, which is what
sysinst does.