Re: csapp, really good?

At Wed, 19 Jun 2019 12:39:50 -0700, "Greg A. Woods" <woods%planix.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: csapp, really good?

> If you want to learn to program for any Unix-like system the very best
> book would probably be Stevens' "Advanced Programming in the UNIX
> Environment", possibly along with Steven's 2-volume "UNIX Network
> Programming" set.

I have recently acquired a new (to me) book that may also be interesting
for anyone wanting to learn "systems programming" in any Unix-like
environment.

While it's not really all that new (copyright 2003), it is none the less
somewhat newer than Stevens' APUE; has many still-relevant examples and
exercises; and is perhaps more oriented as a learning textbook:

	UNIX SYSTEMS Programming (Communication, Concurrency, and Threads)
	Kay A. Robbins, Steven Robbins
	Second Edition
	Prentice Hall PTR
	ISBN 0-13-042411-0

I got my copy via alibris.com where more hardcover copies can be found
for as little as $5 or less.

I did find a full PDF online too without too much google fu.

I still very much like all the late W. Richard Stevens' books and admire
them for their completeness and accuracy and attention to detail.
However they are now somewhat dated.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>