Re: csapp, really good?

At Sat, 8 Jun 2019 03:57:02 GMT, Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh%sdf.org@localhost> wrote:
Subject: csapp, really good?

> i stumbled upon "computer systems: a programmer's perspective"
> (url: csapp.cs.cmu.edu) and it looks like a really interesting
> book for a newbie to systems programming under unix.
> is it really good to warrant a purchase (expensive), or would
> the book by "maurice bach" be considered good enough, though
> the style of "c" used in the book seems a bit strange.
> thanks.

From what I see from the preface of "Computer Systems: A Programmer's
Perspective" it seems to be an entirely different kind of introduction
to systems programming than a book like Bach's, and possibly much more
general, at least with respect to reasonably modern kinds of hardware.
It does indeed look rather interesting.

Bach's book is more specifically about the various common aspects of
the internals of Unix itself and alone.

Bach's pseudo-code for presenting algorithms is reasonably readable and
for that book's main purpose they are the main content; however examples
of user-land programs presented in actual C are all toy programs to the
extreme.

If you want to learn to program for any Unix-like system the very best
book would probably be Stevens' "Advanced Programming in the UNIX
Environment", possibly along with Steven's 2-volume "UNIX Network
Programming" set.

+1 250 762-7675                           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>