Re: Trouble accessing USB modems on NetBSD 8.1 x86_64

noloader%gmail.com@localhost (Jeffrey Walton) writes:

>One thing I noticed... I have a modem-dump program that dumps a
>running config. It prints S0 - S36, ATI0 - ATI10, and some settings
>like +FCLASS, +PCW and +VCID.

>I noticed the (vm) machine reboots about two-thirds of the way through
>the modem-dump program. Bright green text is displayed and then a
>reboot. I can't read fast enough to see what is going on...

The command

sysctl -w ddb.onpanic=1

makes the kernel enter the debugger in that situation, so that you can
read the text. You can permanently enable that setting by augmenting
/etc/sysctl.conf with

ddb.onpanic?=1

It's not always possible to write a kernel dump and you need a swap
partition that is large enough. From ddb you can try the command
"sync", but if it doesn't dump automatically it probably won't work
from ddb either.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost