Re: Trouble accessing USB modems on NetBSD 8.1 x86_64

noloader%gmail.com@localhost (Jeffrey Walton) writes:

>umodem0 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 2 interface 0
>umodem0: U.S.Robotics (0xbaf) USB Modem (0x303), rev 2.00/2.00, addr
>2, iclass 2/2
>umodem0: data interface 1, has CM over data, has break
>umodem0: status change notification available
>ucom0 at umodem0
>ugen0 at uhub0 port 1
>ugen0: Conexant (0x572) USB Modem (0x1340), rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2

>I visited the umodem (4) man page [0]. I tried opening the modems
>using /dev/ucom0, /dev/umodem0, ucom0 and umodem0. All of them result
>in "No such file or directory." I also tried opening /dev/ugen0 anad
>ugen0 with the same result.

So in your case try /dev/dtyU0.

The Conexant device is a "soft modem", it cannot be used like a standard
USB modem or serial port. You would need a driver that emulates a tty
interface but uses a proprietary protocol when talking to the device.
Since NetBSD lacks such a driver, the device attaches as 'ugen', so you
could do low-level USB operations yourself via /dev/ugen0.00 (.. ugen0.15)
if you knew that proprietary protocol.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost