Re: Window Managers / Desktops

On 14.11.2019 0:14, Clay Daniels wrote:
Well, moving ahead, I've been reading the documentation, and used ftp to get the 2019Q3 pkgsrc. I look in /urs/pkgsrc/x11 and see the list of choices if I want to move beyond TDM, or maybe just improve on it a wee bit. I've intalled NetBSD on my older machine, a 2014  HP Pavillion, so I want a fairly light user of resources. I've got 465 Gb disk space, which is ok, but it's real slow compared to the new home-build Ryzen 7 3700x machine. On the other hand, the old machine at one time held three operating systems: Windows 10, MX Linux, and FreeBSD, using Rod Smith's Refind boot manager. Oh well, time marches on.

My question is what x11 desktop / window manager would anyone recommend?

My personal choice is icewm with Infadel theme. It is fast, reliable, easy configurable and support all needed features out of the box. Using icewmtray, feh and urxvt along with icewm can make your desktop look fresh and original.

If icewm will look outdated to you - you can try modern and light fluxbox. However me personally prefer icewm for better tray support.

--
Dima Veselov
Physics R&D Establishment of Saint-Petersburg University