Re: Write an install image to a flash drive?

Bob Bernstein <poobah%ruptured-duck.com@localhost> writes:

> I want to use a flash drive instead of a CD to upgrade from an
> old 'current' to our latest. This is being done on an ancient
> emachine amd64:
>
> NetBSD nebby 8.99.35 NetBSD 8.99.35 (GENERIC) #0: Wed Mar 13 06:27:34 UTC 2019  mkrepro%mkrepro.NetBSD.org@localhost:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC amd64

Also, it's good to have things like flash drives and CD around to rescue
your box, but you don't need external media for an upgrade.

In pkgsrc there is etcmanage (my way to do it) and sysupgrade (someone
else's way, a bit more mainstream).  I upgrade machines in place all the
time using INSTALL-NetBSD from etcmanage.

That said, I don't want to discourage you from working through the flash
drive issues as that's useful for you and fixing doc bugs, if any, is
useful for everyone.