Re: /usr/pkg and unprivileged pkgsrc in parallel

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 2:06 AM Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
> If the pkg_chk "binary" compiled in /vol/pkg/20190803 looks in /usr/pkg
> at all, I'd say that's a bug, and patch welcome.

I'll look into it and open a PR.

> I would not be surprised if you find several such bugs, but squash on!

I was looking both for the experience of others, but also for an idea
what would be a bug and what would be expected behaviour (because what
*I* expect is not necessarily what other pkgsrc users or the
developers expect ;)

> My impression is that people often use multiple trees.  I suspect that
> you will not have too many problems.
>
> The big hint is to use bmake from the new prefix, because it has the new
> prefix baked in, but you already are doing that.

I've been using parallel pkgsrc trees on Solaris for ages, without any
problems. But in that case there are no "default" directories like
/usr/pkg or /usr/pkgsrc, so I've never had to worry about this
problem. I'll carry on and see what fallout I'll get :) Thanks for the
input!

Joern

--
Joern Clausen