Re: Rust with 9 Beta

> I did a fresh install for 9.0 BETA. Built pkgin from source,
> /usr/pkg/etc/pkgin/repositories.conf points me to
> http://cdn.NetBSD.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/amd64/8.0_2019Q2/All. So
> far almost everything I need installs. I did have to softlink a
> few expected libraries in /usr/lib to a later version. i.e. one
> package wanted libcrypto.so.12, but that was not present, so I
> linked it to so.14.

That's not going to end well.  You probably need a copy of the
libcrypto.so.12 library from NetBSD/amd64 8.0.  The major version
number of libcrypto.so has been bumped (twice) since 8.0, and that
means that there are incompatibilities between the libraries,
e.g. either symbols were deleted or the signature of externally
visible interfaces (structs or functions) changed in incompatible ways
(or both).

Didn't we use to have some "compat" package which had packaged up
certain libraries from an earlier version of the OS?  I see
emulators/compat* packages, and perhaps we need a compat80 package?

Now, with that said, the rust bootstrap kits currently don't name the
NetBSD OS-version they were built against, and possibly they should.
However, I suspect that doing so is not going to be entirely trivial.

The route via either a compat80 package or for the time being simply
manually extracting the required 8.0 libraries from the old
distribution sets is probably easier.

Best regards,

- Håvard