Re: Rust with 9 Beta

Ron Georgia <netverbs%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> Thanks for the response. The patience of this forum is outstanding and I appreciate it.
> Greg, thank you for your candor. I did mix the softlink solution and
> pulling in the expected lib from the 8.1 set. I suppose I could
> reinstall and just build from source or can I simply grab the set from
> BETA and unpack them (except etc and xetc).

I would first get rid of all your lib symlinks.  Then I'd unpack a build
of 8 someplace else on your disk, and just cp -p older shlibs as you
need them.

There might be a netbsd8-compat or such package in pkgsrc that basically
does this, but I basically always upgrade so don't run into this myself.

> Question: which pkgsrc would be best to pull in, stable or current?

It depends on what you are trying to do.  You are obviously either
wanting to test netbsd-9, or to use netbsd-9 because it works better
than netbsd-8.  The question then becomes whether you want to help fix
pkgsrc head for netbsd-9 so 2019Q3 will be better, help fix 2019Q2
branch for netbsd-9 (but we don't provide builds), or actually use the
machine.

Keep in mind that all your packages must be from the same sources
(2019Q2 or pkgsrc current) and built on the same base OS (netbsd-8 or
netbsd-9).  Mixing either is going to be trouble, and people are just
going to tell you not to mix, rather than helping you sort out the mess
mixing causes.