Re: Rust with 9 Beta

Ron Georgia <netverbs%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> I did a fresh install for 9.0 BETA. Built pkgin from source,
> /usr/pkg/etc/pkgin/repositories.conf points me to
> http://cdn.NetBSD.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/amd64/8.0_2019Q2/All. So
> far almost everything I need installs. I did have to softlink a few
> expected libraries in /usr/lib to a later version. i.e. one package
> wanted libcrypto.so.12, but that was not present, so I linked it to
> so.14.

packages from 8.0 are not expected to work on 9, in general.  If you
update from 8 to 9, they probably are ok, as long as *all* the packges
you use are from 8.

Providing libcrypto.so.12 via a copy of libcrypto.so.14, instead of the
actual contents, is basically a wrong thing to do, takes you into
undefined territory.  I am not surprised things break, and I don't think
it's sensible to try to work around this.

So I suggest that you either:

  hold your breath until there are official pkgsrc packages for netbsd-9
  (that's a joke)

  install 8.1, and then upgrade to 9, and then use pkgin

  I don't really encourage this, but if you want to continue with 9 and
  8 packges, then instead of copying libs to the wrong version, get the
  libs you need from netbsd 8 sets.  This is sort of like
  install-8/upgrade-to-9.   If you do, this, install pkgin from 8 and do
  not build any packages locally.

  checkout pkgsrc (which you did ) and build the rest of the packages
  yourself on 9, and raise issues to pkgsrc-users

The last option is the most helpful to others, but it's harder.