Re: static Wifi connection

Jörn Clausen <joernc%googlemail.com@localhost> writes:

> I have a NetBSD box as gateway between my DSL router and the rest of
> my network. At the moment, it uses a NIC which connects to a Netgear
> WNCE2001 (an "access point in client mode", for want of a better
> description), and everything works fine.

I don't understand "AP in client mode".  If you mean that the "access
point" is running as a bridge, that is what I'd expect.

Are you using the netgear to provide wifi to laptops/phones/etc., so
that they get DHCP addresses from a dhcpd running on your netbsd box,
which then does nat/routing to send their traffic over the DSL line?

Or do you mean something totally different?

> I would like to get rid of the ageing Netgear hardware and instead use
> the built-in Wifi adapter of the machine. It is an Intel 3165 which is
> recognized as

That means you need to run the machine's wifi in "hostap" mode, so that
it appears to be an access point.
> I have /etc/ifconfig.iwm0 with
>
> ssid FOOBAR
>
> and /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf with
>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> network={
>         priority=99
>         ssid="FOOBAR"
>         bssid=f0:7d:68:b2:e8:10
>         psk="sharedsecret"
> }
>
> When I do
>
> $ wpa_supplicant -s -i iwm0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
>
> the adapter connects (sometimes it takes two or three tries), and I
> assign the IP address from my DSL router with

So you are being a client with that wifi and connecting to the netgear,
which forwards back to the box over ethernet?