Re: Mounting USB drive

I am trying to copy the material from my SANS course USB to my NetBSD box. I was able to initialize a USB drive and mount it, so that's that. All is not lost as I can mount the drive on my Mac, then sftp it to my NetBSD machine. It would be nice if I could just mount and copy. Thanks for your responses, I appreciate it.

On 6/18/19, 1:58 AM, "Michael van Elst" <netbsd-users-owner%NetBSD.org@localhost on behalf of mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost> wrote:

    netverbs%gmail.com@localhost (Ron Georgia) writes:

    >When trying to mount I get the following:
    >sudo mount  /dev/sd0a /mnt/sans/
    >mount_ffs: /dev/sd0a on /mnt/sans: incorrect super block

    >sudo mount -t msdos /dev/sd0a /mnt/sans/
    >mount_msdos: /dev/sd0a on /mnt/sans: Invalid argument

    That probably says that there is no formatted filesystem,
    neither FFS (very likely) nor FAT (that would be common)
    on partition 'a'.

    >4 partitions:
    >#        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
    > a:  30720000         0     4.2BSD      0     0     0  # (Cyl.      0 -  14999)
    > d:  30720000         0     unused      0     0        # (Cyl.      0 -  14999)

    >Partition table:
    >0: Primary DOS with 32 bit FAT - LBA (sysid 12)
    >    start 2048, size 30922752 (15099 MB, Cyls 0-1924/249/53), Active
    >1: <UNUSED>
    >2: <UNUSED>
    >3: <UNUSED>

    That doesn't agree. While a FAT partition at block 2048 on a 16GB drive
    isn't that common, it's probably correct.

    A synthesized disklabel would match the MBR, so that one has probably
    been written to the USB drive.

    Can you try to erase the label with 'disklabel -D sd0' ?

                                    Michael van Elst
    Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost