Re: WiFi card comes up as device lo0

On mag 21 19:37, Carl Miller wrote:
> > It means that it was not attached.  There could be lots of reasons.
>
> Could you elaborate on what you mean by "not attached"? Sorry for the noob
> question but I'm trying to learn the OS and I'm not familiar with all of the
> jargon yet.

I perfectly understand you. "Not attached" means that no driver has
recognized that device, so it is currently unusable inside the OS. When
a device is "not attached", it may show up in the dmesg as "not
configured" or something similar.
When a driver instead identifies a device (being able to manage it), the
driver "attaches" to that device. In the dmesg, the device is shown as a
literal string (the driver name) followed by a number n (for the n-th
device attached by that driver, starting from 0). For example, if your
system has just one RealTek network card which is compatible with the
driver re(4), it will be listed in the dmesg as `re0'.
Bye!

Rocky