porting mosix to netbsd

my last mail to the list was probably incorrectly worded, i am restating it now.
would writing code which works about the "hardware abstraction layer" of netbsd
require one to have a good grasp of assembler?
i need to have an end-goal to focus on my studies, i have chosen one such by
wanting to have 'mosix' (http://www.mosix.org/) like functionality under
netbsd to be developed in the long term by me. since at my current, naive level
of understanding of netbsd internals i think i won't be touching anything below
the 'hal', wanted to know if i should really spend already low-time on learning
assembler. thank you.