FFS dump of snapshot (with LVM) - reboot

Dear friends of NetBSD,

I am currently trying my luck with backing up various large FFS file systems (WAPBL enabled) using snapshots and the dump program.

Under the following conditions, I have succeeded so far:

* The file system resides on a GPT partition or is part of a disklabel that resides within a GPT / MBR partition

* The WABPL journal is located outside the file system (created with newfs -O2 -s -64m /dev/....)

* The backend store for the snapshot is outside the file system

The procedure has proven itself:

% fssconfig fss0 /data /var/snap/data 512 512m
% dump -b64 -0auf /mnt/data.0.dump /dev/fss0
% fssconfig -u

Thereby a tmpfs is mounted under /var/snap. As long as the content of the file system to be backed up does not change in size during the dump run, the space is sufficient there. If this is not the case, the fss device will be unconfigured, and dump handles the error correctly.

Now the problem: I have not been able to reliably dump file systems via this path, which are located in an LVM volume. Therefore my question: are there obvious facts that speak against it or have I not read the documentation correctly at this point? Or would that have to work theoretically? I have experienced in several cases that restarted without notice while dumping the computer.

I would be very happy about your experiences and hints on this topic.

Many Greetings,
Matthias

--
Matthias Petermann <mp%petermann-it.de@localhost> | www.petermann-it.de
Innovative IT-Lösungen, Systemintegration, FreeBSD/Unix-Support