Re: upgrade - what will happen?

At Sun, 28 Apr 2019 11:02:30 +0200, Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: upgrade - what will happen?

When you upgrade, the old library versions stay around, so old
packages continue to work -- with the exception of things depending on
osabi, which might break.

Isn't there's one small caveat about old shared library versions?

Postinstall(8), which will be run by sysinst during an upgrade, or if
you do a manual upgrade and then similarly run "postinstall fix" as is
recommended, will remove "obsolete" files, including old system shared
libraries.

+1 250 762-7675                           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>

Hi There,

Thank you for all your comments, advices.

The process has run without any issue like this:
1. On the backup 7.2 I've build the 8.0 STABLE release.
2. Copied the new kernel, then reboot.
3. Installed the distribution 8.0, postinstall, etcupdate, reboot.

Now all the packages work as expected. Super reliable system. Congrat for developers!!!

At the moment I'm rebuilding the installed packages to 8.0 ABI. Then I'll upgrade the production machine with just a binary installation and pkgin upgrade.

Regards,

FeZ