Re: netbsd : internals : bach book : good to start-off?

    Date:        Mon, 22 Apr 2019 05:08:54 GMT
    From:        Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh%sdf.org@localhost>

  | i am not looking for a user or programmer's guide.

No, I did not really believe that (based upon your first message).

  | i have no knowledge of any operating system internals, leave alone unix.
  | so, since bach's book is so light (in terms of page count) and affordable
  | i thought it would be a good starting-off point into operating system
  | internals.

Again, if you want a general idea how things can be done, then yes,
that one is at least going to be closer to describing what you get
in any unix type system than some arbitrary OS text book from the 70's
or so (which is about when books on that topic were very popular,
so many appeared...).   Many of the underlying concepts will be similar.
Very few of the details will be close though.

My point was that if you want to get a better head start on any BSD
system's internals, then a book that describes a BSD system's internals
is going to get you a lot closer than one which describes something
different.

  | i know and fully acknowledge that i will have to work hard to understand
  | netbsd internals, and the currently, the only way to do so is by reading
  | the source, over and over again till i get comfortable with it.

Yes, nothing beats that. and for NetBSD, as there is no book that
actually describes it (that I know of) that will, for many aspects,
be the only choice.

kre