Propose to link fuse-encfs against pkg libperfuse [Was Re: mmap errors related to using encfs]

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 12:31:26AM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> Is it possible that the issue / limitation is with librefuse? (And in that
> case shall we be trying using filesystems/fuse?

I pursued above point further. I took offline help from Emmanuel Dreyfus.
Thanks Emmanuel for your inputs.

For reference, this old post gives the genesis of libperfuse:
https://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2010/08/22/msg003843.html

Indeed the low level interface mentioned in the post is needed by some
filesystems. E.g. git wasn't working on encfs mounted dir due to
unsupported mmap. But if we link with libperfuse it is found working now.

Would also mention that linking to base libperfuse isn't helping as (at
least as of 8.0) it is not up to date. pkg's libperfuse works fine though.
(current should work fine, though I think better to link with pkg).

I propose the following:

1. in mk/fuse.buildlink3.mk we should include
filesystems/fuse/buildlink3.mk for NetBSD as well. Alternatively provide a
choice to do so.

[I have changed the code in an ad hoc manner right now. If the proposal is
ok I'll try to do it neater and submit a patch. But I am not so conversant
with changing mk/ files, do's and dont's of doing so etc.]

2. Two of the patches in fuse-encfs (1 added last week and 1 older) seem
to be no more required if we link with filesystems/fuse:
patch-encfs_FileUtils.cpp  patch-encfs_main.cpp

Not sure about the third one: patches/patch-encfs_DirNode.cpp. (Will
test without it and confirm.)

3. We might as well take this opportunity to encfs-1.9.5. I have already
confirmed the results on the list.

Request your comments.

Mayuresh