Re: playing with bootxx_ext2fs

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 06:07:36PM +0300, pierre-philipp braun wrote:
> ## 63 vs 64 vs 2048
>
> On NetBSD x86 we're still starting at 63.  In my previous attempt, I used the gnu/linux fdisk and cfdisk utilities with their modern defaults so the partition was starting at sector 2048.  While using `fdisk -c=dos` I could create a partition starting at 63 (the default was indeed 64).
>
> I do not think this makes a big difference for my purpose of boot strapping netbsd.

That depends on the size of disk (and maybe other details) you installing
on and whether you manually run fdisk or use sysinst.

> ## /boot supports ext2fs?
>
> > I am unclear on which filesystems /boot can handle, other than
> > ffs1/ffs2.  Surely that includes ext2fs and fat32, or we'd have
> > /boot-foo for them and I'd have heard about it.

src/sys/arch/i386/stand/boot/Makefile.boot  says:

CPPFLAGS+= -DSUPPORT_CD9660
CPPFLAGS+= -DSUPPORT_USTARFS
CPPFLAGS+= -DSUPPORT_DOSFS
CPPFLAGS+= -DSUPPORT_EXT2FS

so I'd say it should support ext2fs just fine.

You could compile a boot with -DEXT2FS_DEBUG and see if that gives you
more information.

Martin