MULTIBOOT fails w/ GRUB2 and SYS/EXTLINUX

Yolo again

this message closely relates to my two previous ones -- on bootstrapping netbsd from an ext2fs manually -- and I am now  and finally considering MULTIBOOT.

Although I have seen some success reports with GRUB2 *1, all I get is failures.  With GRUB2/multiboot and multiboot2 I get

	error: no multiboot header found.

The GRUB2 configurations I tried:

menuentry 'multiboot netbsd' {
		insmod ext2
		set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
		multiboot /netbsd root=/dev/wd0e
	}

	menuentry 'multiboot2 netbsd' {
		insmod ext2
		insmod multiboot2
		set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
		multiboot2 /netbsd root=/dev/wd0e
	}

Although it is supposedly the default now, I even tried with a custom kernel (`options MULTIBOOT`).

Note GRUB2 offers some tweaks to workaround things *1.  No change there either.

Now with SYS/EXTLINUX, I get something similar

	Invalid Multiboot image: neither ELF header nor a.out kludge found

How get the boot strapping process to load the netbsd kernel fine using multiboot?

I remember I was able to load XEN+NetBSD with the GRUB `kernel` and `module` parameters before, and I believe this was doing MULTIBOOT already.  But maybe that was GRUB legacy.

Thanks
*1 https://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2011/09/13/msg011481.html
*2 https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#multiboot
--