Re: mutt wants sasl

Bob Bernstein <poobah%ruptured-duck.com@localhost> writes:

> Please forgive a history review:
>
> Initially, I went to install ver. 8.0 on this nvidia-infested system
> while it was still running Windows 7, seeking a "dual boot" setup.
> No instance of ver 8 that I tried could run on it, complaining about
> "panic" over "no console device found."
>
> The Windows system now is long gone, but I did not find a kernel
> that would boot until this was tried:
>
> NetBSD 7.1.2 (GENERIC.201803151611Z) amd64
>
> So that's what I have running now, which may go some way to explain
> why am using pkgsrc 2018Q. I am quite willing to try an upgrade to
> ver. 8 but my fear is that during the upgrade I will learn once
> again that ver. 8 does not boot on this box, but in the process,
> have undone the 7.1.2 that to at least runs, short of using X.

NetBSD 7 X11 is definitely old.   It may be possible to make things
work, but some of the nouveau/drm stuff I think has kernel support
(things were simpler with X10 and a QDSS in uVax II!).

So, one option is to switch to X11_TYPE=modular and rebuild all
packages.  That should help.

> Can I try the upgrade without harming what's running now?

You try the first step, which is what matters.

You can boot a netbsd-8 kernel without changing the system on the disk
you have.  Just drop it in /netbsd8, and then on booting, drop to single
user and "boot -s /netbsd8".  If that doesn't work, capture info and ask
for help - it won't have written anything.  If it does, boot multiuser,
and if your system is ok, then upgrade the userland bits.

Or, boot off cd or a USB stick.  As long as you don't overwrite your
existing disk, you should be fine.