mutt wants sasl

The big picture: I am now configuring my new amd64 ver.
7.1.2 install on that recalcitrant old eMachine box about
which I have lately so plagued this list.

One priority of course is email. While working in another
OS I have found great utility in mutt's relatively new
smtp facility. The pertinent obfuscated lines in my
.muttrc are:

set smtp_url="smtp://my_username@smtp.my_smtp_host:587/"
set smtp_pass="my_password"

These work on that other OS I mentioned, and work with the
two different smtp hosts to which I access. Mutt now
complains:

No authenticators
mutt needs sasl

Well, I'm stumped. I don't know anything about sasl. I
have the following packages installed:

gsasl-1.8.0nb8      GNU implementation of the Simple Authentication and Security Layer
cyrus-sasl-2.1.27   Simple Authentication and Security Layer
cyrus-saslauthd-2.1.27 Cyrus SASL plaintext authentication daemon

The cyrus packages were installed based on a hint found on
the 'net regarding mutt making this particular complaint
about needing sasl, but so far, beyond simply pkgin-ing
those packages I haven't a clue as to what further steps
they might require in order to give mutt a hand.

==> BTW, I love how pkgin has been so improved since I first
joined netbsd-land lo those many years ago.

:)

All best,

--
Fraught with Portent