Re: Issue mounting USB mass-storage drive

On Fri, 28 Dec 2018, Michael van Elst wrote:

Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 08:45:15 -0000 (UTC)
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost>
To: netbsd-users%netbsd.org@localhost
Newsgroups: lists.netbsd.users
Subject: Re: Issue mounting USB mass-storage drive

nagelbh%sdf.org@localhost (Bruce Nagel) writes:

umass0: failed to create xfers

Usually means the kernel ran out of (contigous) memory. This can be
a consequence of using USB3, the xhci driver does not support
multi-segment DMA yet.

It should only happen after some larger uptime when kernel memory
might be too fragmented.

'Turning it off and back on' did resolve the issue, so probably 'myth confirmed'. :-) I had an uptime beyond a month when this issue presented itself. Trying again the next day after rebooting allowed mounting the drive it is still working okay.

I'm guessing there isn't a simple means to use USB2 drivers and avoid this issue? Nothing in the case is newer than 2012 so I don't need USB3 support.

Thanks,
Bruce
--
nagelbh%sdf.org@localhost

The Mouser felt a compulsive urge to take out his dagger and stab himself
in the heart.  A man had to die when he saw something like that.
(Fritz Leiber)