Re: Sun widget

    Date:        Fri, 30 Nov 2018 12:34:58 +0100
    From:        Julian Coleman <jdc%coris.org.uk@localhost>

  | The last.  If I remember correctly, this stems from Sun's interpretation of
  | the serial standard, particularly which end was the computer and which end
  | was the terminal.

Except that those aren't really the correct terms, it is data communications
equipment and data terminal equipment (DCE vs DTE).

In the original CCITT mindset, DCE was anything provided by (and generally
owned by) the phone company, and DTE was everything else (which would
naturally only connect to a DCE as how else could you expect to communicate
other than using the phone company?)

With "the network is the computer" Sun kind of took the view that they were
supplying communications equipment, despite not being the phone company.

kre