Re: Sun widget

Hi,

> I have some little (3 inch) widgets with an RJ45 plug on one end and
> jack on the other.  Carrying a (Sun?) part number of 422764100011.  I
> suspect they may have been part of the Netra T5220 I recently acquired.
>
> First thought was perhaps a crossover adapter?  But, the Netra's inet
> ports are Gbe so that shouldn't be necessary.  Unless it is intended for
> use with the (100Mb?) "management port"?
>
> Or, perhaps a means of converting the serial management port's DB9<->RJ45
> adapter to DCE/DTE pinout??

The last.  If I remember correctly, this stems from Sun's interpretation of
the serial standard, particularly which end was the computer and which end
was the terminal.  Sun serial ports were wired as a computer, but PC's
(maybe everyone copied the IBM PC?) were wired as a terminal.  When RJ45
serial connectors replaced DB25/DB9 connectors, Sun continued to have the
different wiring (also shared by Cisco) for its console connections.  So,
if you connect a terminal server to a Sun or Cisco console, you'll need a
crossover adapter.  The Avocent/Cyclades ADB0039 is the same, e.g.:

  https://www.kvm-switches-online.com/adb0039.html

Regards,

Julian