Re: sysinst(8) and 8 character limitation when adding a user

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 12:05:37AM +0100, Rocky Hotas wrote:

> this limitation was about older versions of the OS. If this is the case,
> the `8 characters' string could be removed, or replaced with the current
> (and longer) limitation.

That would likely be:

 > sysctl kern.login_name_max

so 17 (which is 16 characters + 0 termination). Longer user names still
would work, but will often be truncated on display (and need to be
unique within the first 16 chars).

Hmm, actually we may make the text dynamic in sysinst.

Martin