Re: Quick BIND question

Greetings Jason:

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018, 4:38 PM jmitchel <jmitchel%bigjar.com@localhost> wrote:
On 2018-09-06 16:21, jmitchel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know this is a somewhat annoying question, because it's very broad
> and the server's out of date, but am I going to get in trouble using
> the version of BIND that came with NetBSD 6.1.4. Here's the info:
>
> Karma:/etc/namedb# uname -a
> NetBSD Karma 6.1.4 NetBSD 6.1.4 (GENERIC) i386
> Karma:/etc/namedb# named -V
> BIND 9.9.2-P1 built with defaults
> using OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 1.0.1g 7 Apr 2014
>
> The box will be answering queries from a cached version of the Windows
> DNS domain, and will also be used to forward all non-local lookups to
> OpenDNS. It is behind a SonicWall firewall and there isn't any direct
> access to port 53 (either TCP or UDP) from the Internet. What are the
> odds the server will be okay?
>
> I know I should just install the latest version, but I'm under the gun
> as we've just realized that there are about 400 "Malware" DNS queries
> per day and I'm worried about what's installed on what computers and
> want to know which ones are infected ASAP.

I'd reconsider introducing another host running internet connected services that you have to manage when the internal environment isn't well behaved.

By all means run NetBSD at every opportunity, but _not_ "under the gun".

May I respectfully suggest:
* Update the Sonicwall.
* Turn on the Intrusion Detection & Prevention features to high levels.
* Configure Sonicwall' s DNS proxy to lookup @ the provider of your choice.
* Configure the Windows DNS server conditional forwarders to send all non-local queries to the Sonicwall.
* Monitor your logs and start your cleanup.
* Tune the logs to reduce unnecessary messages.
* Look for opportunities to plan and deploy NetBSD in the organization.  Perhaps as the heart of your new Security Information & Event Management initiative?

Same results, one less host to attack.  I never let AD DNS servers resolve queries for other than their own zones.  Always forwarded to public providers or ISP.  Firewall rules in place accordingly.

> Thanks in advance for reading and any help you can provide.
>
> Jason M.

Never mind (I think). I checked pkgsrc before writing this, but didn't
check the right directory. I just found bind-9.10.8pl1nb1 and will use
that. But if there's any reason I should be wary with the newer
software, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jason M.

Best of luck to your efforts.