umount after bad blocks...

Hi,

I've been trying 8_beta, and while rsync to a usb flash drive (with UFS), bad blocks spoiled the day.

Is there a graceful way to abort and umount the broken device? Don't care about the data, have tried SIGKILL the processes etc  but at this point it looks like I have to powercycle to release the umass device.

of course, power cycle is not good for the other filesystems and processes, is there anything else that can be done to release a mounted device after media failure?

Thanks,
-George

--
George Georgalis, (415) 894-2710, http://www.galis.org/