Re: 8.0_RC1 amd64 crash during boot

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 10:36:27PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> I have been using 8.0_RC1 amd64 for several days, though first time there
> was a crash during boot, which is not reproducible. If at all, it may
> relate to my connecting USB kbd/mouse while it was booting, not sure.
>
> I noticed following files, as indicated in boot messages:
>
> # ls -l /var/crash/
> total 24296
> -rw-------  1 root  wheel         2 May 20 22:31 bounds
> -rw-------  1 root  wheel         5 Apr 20 00:15 minfree
> -rw-------  1 root  wheel  24019696 May 20 22:31 netbsd.0.core.gz
> -rw-------  1 root  wheel    747336 May 20 22:31 netbsd.0.gz
>

> I suppose these should have information about what happened. Please help
> me with what information to extract from these and how so that I can
> provide more problem details.
>
> Mayuresh

Hi Mayuresh.

The way to use these files is:

# gunzip netbsd.0.*
# crash -M netbsd.0.core -N netbsd.0
> bt
> dmesg
(and so on)

-- Less generally useful, more advanced usage info below --
Alternatively, for rare cases you want some specific capabilities from gdb:
gdb netbsd.0
(gdb) target kvm netbsd.0.core
(gdb) bt full
(and so on)

I'm quite a big fan of gdb for reproducible crashes, I'll build a kernel
with -O0 -ggdb3 or so and then 'bt full' will give all the variables in
a function, which is much nicer than printfs.

The different kernel is so you won't get mostly <optimized-out> values.