Re: consdeev, com0 and remote management of servers

Hello, Steve,

As a person which have lot of serial consoles (NetBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris,
Linux) working on very different platforms (Sun, IBM, HP) I can add
something:

1. Grub&linux have dual-console logic, BSD do not. So you will not be
able to manage BSD on screen, but sometimes switch to serial. However
there is no problem managing BSD through serial in permanent way,
both for console and boot-manager if you find needed options once.
Also using iDRAC, iRMC, ILOM and other service processors you always
can use graphic console (usually with Java-based client), which also
always work.

2. Can you tell us why installboot way do not work for you?

3. 115200 vs 9600 is really helps, mostly when you manage file systems
and lot of kernel output. I never set speed less than 115200.

4. All this process is frustrating only first times when you are
understanding all the logic in this piece of software. After some
experience you will do anything as a piece of cake.

--
Sincerely yours,
Dima Veselov