Re: Trying to run hostapd as solely a stand-alone Radius server

On 2018-01-13 07:21, christos%astron.com@localhost wrote:
In article <7c6a79ab05e9fdd22e449d63d7cb184e%mail.bigjar.com@localhost>,
jmitchel  <jmitchel%bigjar.com@localhost> wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to run hostapd as a standalone Radius server without any of
the wireless functionality.
/usr/src/external/bsd/wpa/dist/hostapd/hostapd.conf has the following:

# Driver interface type (hostap/wired/madwifi/test/none/nl80211/bsd);
# default: hostap). nl80211 is used with all Linux mac80211 drivers.
# Use driver=none if building hostapd as a standalone RADIUS server that
does
# not control any wireless/wired driver.
# driver=hostap

But the only option for driver that doesn't cause hostapd to generate an
error on startup is bsd, and you have to supply a physical interface
(not lo0) which stops working when you run hostapd.

I'm running NetBSD 6.1.5 on port-i386. As a test I'm running on a full
installation of NetBSD, but the target is an embedded appliance.

Is there a way to disable the wireless portion of things and still have
a functioning radius server? Sorry if this is the wrong group. If so,
please let me know where I should send this to.

Thanks,

Jason M.

P.S. Please copy me on any replies, I'm not subscribed to netbsd-users.
Thanks again!

Have you tried driver=test?

christos

Yes, I tried them all. The only one that doesn't cause hostapd to exit with an error is bsd.

quantumleap:/home/jmitchel/temp# hostapd /home/jmitchel/temp/hostapd.conf
Configuration file: /home/jmitchel/temp/hostapd.conf
Line 9: invalid/unknown driver 'test'
1 errors found in configuration file '/home/jmitchel/temp/hostapd.conf'

quantumleap:/home/jmitchel/temp# hostapd /home/jmitchel/temp/hostapd.conf
Configuration file: /home/jmitchel/temp/hostapd.conf
Line 9: invalid/unknown driver 'none'
1 errors found in configuration file '/home/jmitchel/temp/hostapd.conf'

quantumleap:/home/jmitchel/temp# hostapd /home/jmitchel/temp/hostapd.conf
Configuration file: /home/jmitchel/temp/hostapd.conf
Line 9: invalid/unknown driver 'hostap'
1 errors found in configuration file '/home/jmitchel/temp/hostapd.conf'

quantumleap:/home/jmitchel/temp# hostapd /home/jmitchel/temp/hostapd.conf
Configuration file: /home/jmitchel/temp/hostapd.conf
Line 9: invalid/unknown driver 'wired'
1 errors found in configuration file '/home/jmitchel/temp/hostapd.conf'

quantumleap:/home/jmitchel/temp# hostapd /home/jmitchel/temp/hostapd.conf
Configuration file: /home/jmitchel/temp/hostapd.conf
Line 9: invalid/unknown driver 'madwifi'
1 errors found in configuration file '/home/jmitchel/temp/hostapd.conf'

quantumleap:/home/jmitchel/temp# hostapd /home/jmitchel/temp/hostapd.conf
Configuration file: /home/jmitchel/temp/hostapd.conf
Line 9: invalid/unknown driver 'nl80211'
1 errors found in configuration file '/home/jmitchel/temp/hostapd.conf'

And if I run hostapd with driver=bsd and my ethernet interface, I lose my SSH connection and can no longer ping the interface. The machine is still up and hostapd exits.

Thanks,

Jason M.