Re: Netbsd-7/i386 won't boot on new motherboard/CPU

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 5:10 PM, ssartor <ssartor%bellatlantic.net@localhost> wrote:
> Kind of a ‘me too’ but I just bought a Zotac Zbox Ci327 for use as a small home office server/firewall.  Like your MSI board, it has a newer generation CPU, in this case a Celeron N3450 quad-core (Apollo Lake, Goldmont architecture, slightly older than Kaby Lake).  In my case, neither NetBSD 7, 8 or current would boot — always died with a ‘cpu 1: failed to start’ message. After some poking around I found I could boot the machine by turning off SMP (boot -1).  It’s running fine now on NetBSD 7 but it does seem as if current generation Intel parts are problematic.

I built a new netbsd-8 kernel (with source from about the same time as
the binaries I used to install) and the only difference from GENERIC
is I enabled PAE in the config.

It now runs fine with smp and acpi enabled.

No idea why it was so unstable before.

Andy