Re: Using a 4TB (Now 3TB) SATA disk with i386?

acruhl%gmail.com@localhost (Andy Ruhl) writes:

>When I try to use fdisk to create a partition, it won't let me go
>higher than 2TB.

>I tried just using disklabel as well, and I have the same problem.

That's because MBR and BSD disklabel are limited to 2TB for disks
with a logical block size of 512 bytes.

>I see a Wiki page about creating wedges but it's talking about using
>ccd and raid which I don't want to do.

It probably talks how to create wedges and then how to use these for
ccd and raid because that adds (or added) some obstacles.

>I just want a regular 3TB disk
>with 1 ffsv2 partition.

>Where should I start? I'm not finding "official" documentation (in the
>guide for example).

Use the gpt tool to create a GUUID Partition Table and add a ffs partition
covering all free space, aligned for 4k physical sectors.

- gpt create wd1
- gpt add -a 4096 -t ffs -l A_unique_name_for_it wd1

On older NetBSD, add the wedge manually as instructed by gpt, or reboot
to let autodiscover do it. On newer NetBSD, gpt runs 'dkctl makewedges'
for you.

Use newfs to format the wedge.

- newfs -O2 NAME=A_unique_name_for_it

Add it to fstab.

- NAME=A_unique_name_for_it /my/mount/path ffs rw,log 1 2

Mount the filesystem

- mount /my/mount/path

Now, installing a bootable netbsd onto such a disk is something else,
but as a data disk it's even easier than before.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost