ssh bad packet length errors over tor

I have a RPI1 running netbsd-8 on the net someplace behind a NAT, and
it's running an onion service (tor) for ssh.  The machine is entirely
reliable except for the present issue.

I can ssh to "foo.onion", which causes my .ssh/config to translate foo
the right (untypeable) onion address, and to use netcat as a proxy into
my tor client's socks5 interface.  (I don't understand why ssh doesn't
have native socks5 client support, but that's not relevant.)

After logging in, all is normal, but after leavign the connection idle
for hours, I tend to get errors like this:

  Bad packet length 3125185823.
  ssh_dispatch_run_fatal: Connection to UNKNOWN port 65535: Connection corrupted

which ends my ssh session.

I also did an ssh to a different machine with an onion service; this one
not behind NAT, with an unrelated network connection in a different
city, and netbsd-7 amd64.  After many hours, around 0530I got

  Bad packet length 3369873750.
  ssh_dispatch_run_fatal: Connection to UNKNOWN port 65535: Connection corrupted

and about half an hour away, on the RPI1

  Bad packet length 3880798817.
  ssh_dispatch_run_fatal: Connection to UNKNOWN port 65535: Connection corrupted

Other than noting that all of those numbers, put in a uint32, have the
high bit set, nothing is apparent.

Is this just what happens with when a tor circuit is lost?   I would
expect it to just be closed, without apparent spurious data.