Re: package upgrade strategy

r0ller <r0ller%freemail.hu@localhost> writes:

> Hi Brad,
>
> I'd do that if it was possible (having the newest versions of all my packages) but as said, midori is not available any more in the 7.1 package repo so it cannot be upgraded (not even the same version of midori is available with just an updated list of dependencies) and if I upgrade icu (to version 59), midori starts complaining about not finding the earlier version of it (version 58). What if I just used pkg_add for icu-59? Or if I mark icu-58 non-autoremovable by pkgin, would the install of icu-59 leave icu-58 untouched?
>
> Best regards,
> r0ller

Ya, you are in a bad situation that will likely never allow you to
update using anything resembling "normal" using prebuilt binary
packages.  I.e.  no more pkgin anymore from a remote repo.

You are facing the requirement to build packages yourself from source
and the need to create a consistant "bundle" of packages for a system.
You may be able to resolve the issue by creating a local midori package
and build from that, for example...

I have never used the prebuilt binary packages, and have always built
and rebuilt from source due to various complicated reasons for more than
15 years.  It has allowed me to do things like include a local version
of a package that isn't "out yet" in pkgsrc and has allowed me to use
older packages that have been removed from pkgsrc [or updated to a
version I didn't want] as long as they would be ok with the dependent
packages in pkgsrc.

I could describe what I am doing if you are interested and want to do
this sort of thing.  It honestly isn't hard and mostly just requires a
bit of organization and some disk space.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]