Re: package upgrade strategy

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017, r0ller wrote:

> By the way, what kind of difference is indicated by the number in the
> 'nb<number>' suffix?

Means the original code (upstream source) was not changed. The nb means
we may be building or installing it differently (like due to a new
patch, new build option, or a dependency change, for example).

> Another question would be if it's possible to keep different
> versions of a package installed? I know in case of shared libs it may
> be tricky because of the symlinks but the runtime linker is not
> looking for the symlink I hope but the versioned soname, right? Any
> hints are welcome!

Well if you build your own from pkgsrc, you can use a different
PKG_DBDIR and LOCALBASE. (Maybe bootstrap it with different settings.)
But then you have an additional install to manage and lots of resources
potentially wasted.

(Sorry you had a package disappear.)