Re: pkgin with NetBSD 8.0_BETA

George Georgalis <george%galis.org@localhost> writes:

> Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if this relates to _BETA.

I would not be surpised by some rough edges around 8.0 pre-release.

> After a minimal (GENERIC.201708260340Z) amd64 install,
>
> # URLROOT="http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/";
> # PKG_PATH="${URLROOT}/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/$(uname -m)/$(uname
> -r|cut -f 1 -d _)/All"
> # echo ${PKG_PATH}
> http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub//pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/amd64/8.0/All
> # pkg_add ${PKG_PATH}/pkgin
> pkg_add: package `pkgin-0.9.4nb6' already recorded as installed

This does not make sense.  You said "after a minimal install". but
pkg_add says it is already installed.   I would recommend doing
"pkg_info" and looking in /var/db/pkg to see what is there.

> # pkg_add ${PKG_PATH}/openssl
> pkg_add: package `openssl-1.0.2k' already recorded as installed

Again, "already".  Why do you want to install openssl?  The base system
version should be fine.  But that is probably not your issue.

> # pkgin update
> Shared object "libcrypto.so.8" not found

There is a /lib/libcrypto.so.8 in NetBSD 7 stable; mine has a ctime of
9/5 which is the most recent time I did an update along the branch.

My pkgin, built for -7 and running on 7, links against libcrypto.so.8,
and works.

I would recommend, after you are really sure you are stating with just
8.0 beta and not other stuff, to download the packages manually, unpack
them in a temp dir, and see what they are linked against.   You have
enough steps and uncertainty going on that it's hard to tell what the
issue is.

I grabbed the pkgin binary from the ftp server, located at:

  /pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/x86_64/8.0_2017Q2/All

(amd64 is a symlink to x86_64, and 8.0 to 8.0_2017Q2, so this seems like
your PKGPATH) and untarred it and ran ldd and got:

./pkgin:
        -lbz2.1 => /usr/lib/libbz2.so.1
        -lgcc_s.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
        -lc.12 => /usr/lib/libc.so.12
        -lz.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1
        -larchive.4 => not found
        -lpthread.1 => /usr/lib/libpthread.so.1
        -lcrypto.12 => not found
        -lssl.12 => not found
        -lsqlite3.1 => /usr/lib/libsqlite3.so.1

which looks right - the 12 matches your listing of what's on your system.

You are using packages built against 8, but consider the situation
before 8 was branched and before there were packages for 8.  If one
wanted to run current and use packages from 7, the thing to do would be
to install 7 and then update to current, so that the old libs are
around.

But, in general it does not work to e.g. mix packages built on current
and packages built on 7, because they'll end up pulling in different
library versions.