Re: Can I use NetBSD as a desktop system?

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 03:03:47PM -0300, SOUL_OF_ROOT 55 wrote:
> Can I use NetBSD as a desktop system?

I used it for a few years, starting with NetBSD 4,  and was pretty happy
about it.

Now I don't use because:

- My wifi is not supported, after my hardware changed. (NetBSD has been
  historically weak with atheros.)

- There are nagging issues with laptop touchpad making it impossible to
  even type smoothly. This may not be a problem for a desktop though.

- This is a problem for some, wasn't for me: No chromium browser. I could
  make do with firefox. I still use firefox though I use Linux now.

- This may or may not matter: I use user space file system encryption with
  incremental backup using cryfs which is not available on NetBSD. (There
  is a thread on this on this list.) There are alternatives on NetBSD, but
  they do not meet my requirement as aptly as cryfs does.

Mayuresh.