where did my eth. interface go? (PCMCIA)

Hi,

I have an old x86 laptop which has all network stuff in PCMCIA cardbus slots. It was running 7.0 just fine, I decided to upgrade to 7.0.2, by using the RAMDISK kernel.

The 10/100 card intel (rebranded IBM) card worked fine, recognized as tlp0

I was able to download the packages and upgrade, testifying that the interface works and transfer speed was good to. [1]

I was able to successfully boot into the new system and work, I also updated many packages with pkg_add -U, proving that network was fine.

The next day I start the laptop again and there is no interface, even if the card is inserted. cardslot0 is seen, but no tlp0. If I remove and reinsert the card, the kernel crashes. If I boot without card and insert it later, it crashes.

This looks like as weird behaviour, doesn't it? Of course no network makes it tedious to get out logs and other things, but any clue or hint?

Riccardo

[1] Actually, I had to retry, the first attempt had the kernel crash when processing the comp.tgz package, the second went just fine