Re: Booting NetBSD from GPT/EFI

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 20:34:27 +0000 (UTC), Michael van Elst wrote:
> While there is a 'gptmbr.bin' bootloader for NetBSD that
> requires BIOS boot but then accesses a GPT instead of the MBR
> partitions, I doubt that such a disk is supported by Windows.

It also looks as if some notebooks (I have my hands o an HP 2170p here)
blindly assume UEFI when they find a gpt formatted disk, even when
advised to attempt a "legacy boot". After a bit of groping in the dark,
and frantic hardware-swapping, I found that the HP will boot from a
plain old mbr disk.

disklabel(8) partitioning is not ot much of a restriction on the
2170p's 128GB SSD, but it might be soon enough...

Cheerio,
hauke

()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
     Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-21344